Sunday, November 7, 2010

Words to the Wise...

As a pediatric chaplain, I learn so much from the children. One boy, living with a chronic illness, and I were playing a board game. I kept drawing cards that put me back spaces. He said to me, "That's the way it is in life. Sometimes you get dealt cards you don't like, but you have to just keep on playing."

--Louise Shepard, Syracuse, New York

It's amazing how smart 'little people' can be; so smart, in fact, that we adults often wonder how we became so dumb compared!  A friend and I were having lunch the other day and were discussing our children's wise outlooks on life.  We were amazed at how insightful these kids were, and questioned each other as to if we were ever that bright.  We also wondered why becoming an adult squelched that wise outlook on life, and when exactly did we lose it?
 
I'm amazed each day at the phrases and thoughts that are expressed by my children.  They are so young, yet so wise and deeply rooted in their positive beliefs.  Just two days ago, my oldest was sitting with me to make out his Christmas list.  As we poured over the toy store catalogs, we listed the items he was interested in, and then I asked him which three he wanted Santa to bring.  He mentioned one item and then said, "My second thing I want from Santa is for everyone in the family to have a good Christmas morning."  As we finished up making his list, I asked him for the third item he wanted Santa to bring.  He told me he had all three items on the list.  I said, "But there are only two games; you can ask for a third."  He said, "I already have my third item.  I want everyone to have a good Christmas morning!" 
 
My youngest child is a mini-philosopher.  He's my 'under-the-radar' child.  We think he's not listening, but 9 times out of 10, he has zeroed in on a conversation and hears every last word.  This is also my deeply spiritual child.  He is the one that wants to know if we're going to see our family pets that just passed when we go to Heaven.  He is also the one that constantly asks the tough questions.  He's concerned about things like what happens to our bodies when we die.  He wants to go see the graves of our pets that passed, not understanding quite yet that the grave isn't the most important part of the process.  When I try to explain that the dogs' spirits and souls are in Heaven, he often says, "So we can always keep them in our hearts, and we'll never forget?!"  Exactly, dear child, exactly...
 
It is these little sparks of insight during our days that truly symbolizes the impacts we make on others.  On the days when my kids are fighting like cats and dogs, I can think back to these instances and remember that 1.) they are just kids - kids will be kids (and they may fight, but will hopefully love each other dearly one day); and 2.) I could learn a lot from listening more intently to my children's wise words of wisdom. 
 
I want to find that childish outlook again.  Because when I do, I will know that like the little boy at the pediatric hospital, I may not always like the cards I'm dealt in life, but I can most certainly keep on playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment