Thursday, October 14, 2010

It was Always You

What is it you always hear from people?  "Go with your gut."  I continue to learn lessons after-the-fact, and hope one day to actually listen to my gut when it first speaks up.  That would make my life so much easier...

In the span of about six days, I found out what it meant to be torn between 'a mother's responsibility' and 'survivor's guilt'.  Six days ago, I adopted two very sweet, albeit very different puppies from a local no-kill animal shelter for my children as we all mourned the loss of our dearly, departed 13-year old Golden Retrievers.  All precautions (or so I thought) had been taken to ensure these two new additions to our household got along well and were going to be good fits into our family.  Well, I was wrong...on one count, that is...the puppy German Shepherd had to go back.

It started off innocently enough (doesn't it always?).  She was doing her job as protector of the household and barked ferociously at the men in our backyard doing work on the house.  However, she didn't stop at just that - she barked ferociously at my tall friend the following evening when he stopped in to pick me up to watch our college teams play ball at a local establishment.  Strike One.

The following day or two met with the puppy establishing dominance over the other puppy.  Understandable, especially from the German Shepherd breed.  But, when she launched herself across the room at the other puppy for eating dog food, thus scaring the kids...Strike Two.

What happened next, I'd never have guessed.  She took offense at my oldest child wearing a hat.  And, boy, did she bark ferociously at this child wearing that hat.  So much so, that my oldest turned to run and she ran after him.  As my oldest child melted into a shaking, crying, upset little boy, I realized this puppy had to go.  Strike Three.  You're Out.

My children asked me to take her back.  And that is what I did today as soon as the shelter opened.  I explained the actions of this 'mild-mannered' pup to the staff and their comment was, "We expected she'd return."  Um, OK, then why even send her home with a single parent and two small children if you suspected the return was imminent?  As I cried because of those feelings of guilt for having 'un-rescued' this animal, I took away my 'Lesson Learned'. 

One dog is enough for this family right now.  And, as I told my children, the German Shepherd is a special breed that requires a special family/owner.  We aren't that family.  But, she's back at a location where her special family will be able to find her and take her home...to her true home.  What an amazing creature she is, but my children do and always will come first over anyone, anything, or any 'whatever'.  You can count on that fact!

What was my house like tonight as we started the evening with our one pet?  Relaxed, fun, no stress...and how did our evening end?  With two children piled in my bed giggling that 'their puppy' was licking them and tickling them...now this is what an evening with a pet is supposed to be and sound like.  Miss Priss "New Queen of the Household" - it was you from the beginning that I knew in my heart-of-hearts (and my gut) would be the 'fit' for our family.  It was always you.

No comments:

Post a Comment