Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Parental Control – Part I (Everything I Need to Know, I Learned from my Dad)

Isn’t it funny how your parents’ opinions and actions mold the individual you grow into as you become an adult? My parents are the cream of the crop. My Mom fed everyone that came into our home, loved them unconditionally, and offered a refuge where we could gather and have good, clean fun. My Dad was the one everyone wanted to ‘come out and play’ because he was always up for a tennis match, throwing the softball, swimming laps at the pool, or just being a calming force amidst our teenage angst.

As a ‘Daddy’s Girl’, I have so many memories of things my father said, times spent together, and how he was the one I always went to for advice. My Mom was the one I poured my heart out to for reassurance, back-up (because whose Mom doesn’t have their child’s back?!), and to learn ‘how to be a true friend’ to those I held close to my heart (friends and relationships alike).

I decided I’d write down my parents’ advice, because I might need to use some of these quotes one day with my children. It’s a pretty big list…but we live a pretty big life, so I think all of the quotes will come in handy before all is said and done.  The post is divided into two entries: one is of my Dad's quotes and the next is of my Mom's quotes...hope you enjoy.

Dad's Quotes:

1. "Would you rather be right or happy?" - Choose happy; much less stress than always having to be right!

2. "Einstein failed many times before he found success." - Anything you fail at in life is a lesson learned for future successes.

3. "You're only as good as your last success." - Don't rest on your laurels and expect that last success to carry you forever.

4. "Don't let the bast&^ds get you down!" - Only to be used in dire circumstances; my Dad doesn't need to curse to effectively make his point.

5. "Hey, this ain't Rocket Science!" - Reserved for those that attempt to make things harder than they really are.

6. "I'm not just another pretty face, you know." - Used when someone has gravely underestimated my Dad – don’t do that, because he'll surprise you at every turn!

7. "The more I work with some people, the more I like my dog." - This was my senior quote for my high school yearbook. Dad and I laughed over it, but unfortunately, it has served to be true on several occasions throughout my career (his, too, I'm afraid).

8. "If you do something nice for someone, don't expect to be publicly patted on the back." - Pretty self-explanatory, don't you think?

9. "If you loan someone money (when they're in need), never, never ask for the loan back." - If you're going to do the good deed in the first place, your primary goal shouldn't be expectation of repayment. If that person never pays you back, then hope that they've passed the good deed on.

10. "An education is something no one can ever take away from you." - Whether you put your children through college, or you help someone else receive their degree, passing on what you were fortunate enough to receive is a wonderful gift.

11. "The older you get, the smarter your parents become." – Yep, this one is pretty self-explanatory.

12. "Choose a profession that will provide financial stability, but is something you like to do." - You have to work for the rest of your life, so you'd best enjoy what you do for a living.

13. "Find a hobby you enjoy." - There will be times when stress from work becomes unbearable. If you don't have a hobby to work that stress out of your system, you'll either blow up at the workplace or die. Neither is a good option.

14. "You can work hard and be loyal to the company, but remember what's important in life. Because your seat won't get cold before your employer fills it after you're gone." - Priorities are key in our lives. Work is good, but it's not your whole life.

15. "People make mistakes. It's OK to give them another chance. But be sure to forewarn them that the next time, they may not be so lucky." - Be a good person, but don't be a doormat.

Honorable Mention (because I couldn’t leave these out!):

a. “It's not the clothes that make the man; it’s the man that makes the clothes.” – My Dad cleans up well. We kid him about ‘all women – young and old (blue-hairs, especially) – and pets’ gravitating toward him.

b. “There’s always going to be ‘a*&holes’ in this world; that ain’t ever gonna change.” – Actually, this quote came from someone my Dad used to work with many years ago. It’s still very much applicable. I guess all-in-all, this quote says to me that we should just accept some things as they are and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment