Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ready or Not 2011, Here I Come!

Ann Taintor’s quotes are spunky, sarcastic, and downright brutally funny. Some of her quotes remind me of myself, while others make me want to be like the situations she quotes. With the New Year comes New Year’s Resolutions for some of us. I’ve long since succumbed to the realization that I will break my resolutions sure as I break a nail after a manicure. So, instead, I’m creating my own version of New Year’s Rules I want to live by…


1.) “I'm becoming my mother.” – My mom is loving, loyal, and can cook so well you’d think she was working to fatten you up for the holidays (so says my ex). I could stand to be a little more like her. She’s strong, no shrinking violet, and will turn into Mamma Bear if anyone messes with her cub or grand-cubs.

2.) “Why, yes I am that kind of girl.” – What kind of girl, you may ask? The kind who knows what she wants, isn’t afraid to work for what she wants, and will move Heaven and Hell to get to the place she needs to be in order to grow and become a better person in this life.

3.) “Old enough to know better... too young to give a rat's ass.” – Being a risk-taker has never been my strong suit. I have learned, however, that it doesn’t really matter what others think. I will be my own person, be true to myself, and the rest will take care of itself.

4.) “The excitement never ends.” – Yeah, so this one’s probably written tongue-in-cheek, and most days I feel this way. BUT, if I truly look around and see the blessings before me each day, I might could possibly turn this one from snarky to realistically positive.

5.) “Stop me before I volunteer again.” – I’ve had my share of volunteer years. With small children, a full-time job, and being a single parent, something’s got to give. I’ll pare down on the volunteering for the time-being and concentrate on my main priority – my kids.

6.) “You be Thelma. I'll be Louise.” – I’ve had long-standing jokes with several girlfriends about one of us being Thelma and the other Louise. I’m thinking maybe 2011 needs to be the year I start “getting my Louise on” – being independent and head-strong (but in a good way, mind you) in order to make good things happen for my kids and me.

7.) “She was disinclined to play by the rules.” – I’d much rather this quote be, “She was disinclined to play by his rules.” I hold onto certain ideals that I won’t compromise for anyone. So, if I don’t play by others’ rules, then I’ll continue to be true to me and my compass will continue to lead me true North.

8.) “We all have our baggage.” – Baggage is accumulated over the years, but it doesn’t have to weigh me down. I can take that baggage, sort through the contents, and file items away as ‘lessons learned.’ That way, I will be better able to move into 2011 with all the chips brushed off my shoulders and a positive attitude that will make the situations I encounter successes.

9.) “Funny... I don't recall asking for your opinion.” – You know what ‘they’ say…opinions are like a*&-holes; everybody’s got one. I can have opinions about people, things, or situations, but I don’t necessarily have to share my opinions. In simple terms – keep my mouth shut!

10.) “Not all bad girls wear black...” – Being a ‘bad’ girl has its perks. You can be the kind of woman you feel you should be, dress the way that makes you feel good, and you don’t worry over every little thing like the ‘good’ girls do. I plan to wear what I want to wear (and not in all black!) and be the strong, self-sufficient, and confident gal I’ve always wanted to be from this point forward.

11.) “She wasn't sure she wanted to live happily ever after.” – Are there fairy tale endings? Do we get swept off our feet by a knight in shining armor? Do we live happily ever after in the house with the white picket fence, the 2.5 kids, and the dog and cat amicably getting along? While I enjoy companionship and would like nothing more than to find that one true soul whom I fit with, I don’t intend to hang my hat on that one person’s existence to make me happy. Only I can make me happy.

12.) “He couldn't become a distant memory soon enough to suit her.” – In order to move forward, remain positive, and learn from past experiences, I’m going to purge the anger, resentment, and hostility I feel toward those that have wronged me in some form or fashion. Out with the feelings of negativity, and in with the flow of positive feelings.

13.) “Lactose is just one of the many things I don’t tolerate.” – I’m not lactose intolerant, but I am intolerant of liars, cheats, and a*&-hats. Don’t be one, and we’ll be fine! I promise not to be one either.

14.) “Think of me as ‘unexpected turbulence’.” – I will not “…sit down, sit down, sit down…”, because I want to rock the boat! I am tired of status quo. I will start speaking out, standing up, and making sure at the end of each day, there are no regrets!

15.) “You mess with the kitty, you feel the claws.” – My children are my number one priority. I have their backs just as my parents have always had mine. I try to tamp down on Mamma Bear, but you know what? It’s OK to be the defender of the weak, innocent, and the ones that cannot speak for themselves. Because the lesson they will learn is to always take care of others. If we spent more time caring and less time tearing down, I bet this world wouldn’t be half as crazy as it seems.

Overall, I want to be caring, loyal, and loving to others. I’m going to need a smile to help that along. As Charles M. Shultz said, “There is nothing more attractive than a nice smile.” So, for 2011, the smile reigns!

Oh, and one last thing…Charles M. Schultz was right when he said, “Happiness is a warm puppy.” I can’t tell you how many times I’ve come home to our new puppy to find her chewing on some LEGO piece, an action figure, or having made a mess on my carpet. But you know what? All that flurry of activity makes me laugh and smile, because I realize the following: I am blessed to have a job that I just came home from, a house I just walked in to, a puppy to always happily greet me at the door, and ‘things’ that may need replacing because of puppy teeth marks. Some people don’t even have half these items…and for that, I know I am to be thankful for what has been given to me, but need to continue to smile while ‘passing it on’ to those less fortunate.

Happy 2011! Peace, Blessings, Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment